Monday, May 7, 2012

Out of the Mouths of Babes

A remarkable young woman e-mailed me regarding my post on Privilege vs Entitlement.  After getting permission, I just had to share it.

Okay, she's not really a babe, but compared to me she is!  I tell you what, young people want to be held accountable.  They will rise (or fall) to whatever standard is set for them.  It's time to rise.  It's time to return to those values that led to the founding of this great republic.

 I thought that your post,Privileged vs. Entitlement, was pretty accurate. It's what I see so often at school: the kid who will never have to pay for themselves because thier parents give them huge mounts of allowance and pay for all of their fancy, rather immodest, clothing. But these are also the kids who think that they don't have to do any work to pass geometry, and wonder what was wrong with whatever they did to get suspended. Their parents simply do everything for them, letting them get away with anything, thinking that they are protecting them.Personally, I am glad that I have to pay for most of my college. It will be a powerful motivation to pay very close attention and do my best, since each minute will be money from my own pocket. To have to work for something gives it a value that it will never otherwise have.

No comments: