Sunday, May 20, 2012

What If ...

What if Jesus actually meant it when he said:

"Judge not, that ye be not judged.  For with what judgement ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again."    - Matthew 7:1-2

What if we, really and truly, are each on our own path?  What if it doesn't matter a hill of beans where we are on our path in comparison to another?  What if all that matters is where we are in our own journey?

What if?

Well, I think he did mean it.  Furthermore, I think it applies to judging ourselves as well.  Recognizing improvements we can make is very different than judging ourselves unrighteously.   Have you ever forsaken a sin or misdeed and made a positive correction in your life because you beat yourself up over it?  I haven't.  In fact, the only time I am able to do anything of the sort is when I acknowledge how amazing the Lord knows I am, and choose to see myself through His sight.

What do we communicate to our Lord and Savior when we take on the burdens He already, so graciously and mercifully, took upon himself?  Effectively, we say, "Sorry, your sacrifice was just not good enough for me.  But good job making it work for all the rest of humanity.  High Five!"  It may seem ridiculous, but think about it.

His sight is perfect, and it reaches to the recesses of my soul.  Places that I don't even know exist, He reaches.  He shows me they are there.   He loves me unconditionally.  That is why I can shed the sins of this world and align myself more closely with Him.  It can be a difficult place to find sometimes; that place of peace and assurance, centered in our soul.  Sometimes it takes great effort to get there.  Outside sources can help.

My mom helps me remember how amazing I am.  She doesn't take away my struggles.  She doesn't try to buy my happiness.  She doesn't placate me with recitations of meaningless accomplishments.  She listens.  She allows me to navigate.  She reminds me of truth and where to seek it best.  She says silly things like, "Oh, Amy you are just amazing."  To which I usually chuckle and say, "Well, I guess.  If you say so."  But it gets me thinking.  It gets me going inward and to my center.  It reminds me that there are deeper places, better places.

The scriptures, with their plain and simple truths snap me back to the real reality.  Hymns, with their sweet melodies, entrancing harmonies, and 'no buts about it' lyrics, hymns.  Ahhh.  I choose to stick with tried and true when I am reaching for the best places within me.  Many a worthy enterprise will take my money to provide me with the next best thing.  Books, magazines, gadgets, gizmos, chants, pilgrimages, movements, and what have you; there are millions of ways to make life better, more meaningful, and bring us back to center.  Thanks, but I'm good with the plain old stuff from the good ol' days.

And one more thing, what if it doesn't matter how fast we are running this crazy race of life either.  What if it only matters that we keep putting one foot in front of the other.

What if YOU are amazing and perfect in His sight?  What if?

No comments: